Am I automatically protected?
No. Your computer is not protected until you download and activate your Freedom security subscription.
To download and activate, simply follow the download instructions.
What is Freedom Anti-Virus service, by TELUS?
Freedom Anti-Virus service, by TELUS is software developed by Zero-Knowledge Systems Inc. that
helps protect your PC from harmful viruses
What is a virus?
A virus is a tiny program designed to add itself to your PC without your knowledge or permission.
A virus can corrupt your data, damage files, or even damage the computer hardware, which can
be expensive to fix. Viruses appear from many sources including e-mail, Web sites and instant
messages. There are approximately 50,000 known viruses.
How does Freedom Anti-Virus, by TELUS help protect my PC?
Freedom Anti-Virus, by TELUS will:
Whether you're on or offline, Freedom scans your PC for new viruses. You can also scan files that come in from other sources, such as disks.
- Scan your PC's hard drives to check for known viruses and the latest virus definition
files. TELUS recommends that you save new incoming files on your hard drive before opening
them so Freedom Anti-Virus can scan for viruses before opening.
- Obtains Freedom's most recent anti-virus definition files via Internet downloads. Default
downloads are sought every 6 hours, but you can choose other time periods (daily, weekly, etc.).
How long is my subscription active?
Your Anti-Virus service will remain active as long as you subscribe to TELUS high speed service.
Do I have to use TELUS Anti-Virus service?
There is no requirement to use TELUS Anti-Virus. The cost of your TELUS
high speed Internet service remains the same whether you use Anti-Virus or not. If you
do not want to use the service, simply do not follow the download instructions.
What are Freedom's bonus features?
Your Freedom Anti-Virus service, by TELUS includes additional services at no extra cost including:
What is the Freedom Ad Block?
- Freedom Ad Block: helps speed your surfing experience by blocking ads and pop-ups.
- Freedom Keyword Alert: designed to alert you before your computer sends your private information (names, addresses, credit card numbers) over the Internet
- Freedom Cookie Manager: helps detect and manage cookies that are left on your PC by Web sites
- Freedom Form Filler: helps you to quickly and easily fill out on-line forms and manage your passwords. You can also edit your personal information to drag and drop into the fields of an on-line form. This information should always be password protected.
The Freedom Ad Block will:
How often does the Freedom Ad Block update its list of blocked sites?
- Help speed up your Web browsing by blocking unwanted ads. Freedom keeps a list of known ad servers and prevents your browser from opening them.
- Help prevent messages from popping-up from within the requested Web site. With the pop-up blocker enabled, a sound is played to indicate an ad has been blocked. For pop-up content you want to see, Freedom can disable the pop-up blocker from working on sites of your choice.
Each time you log onto the Internet, Freedom updates its list of blocked advertisement sites.
How does the Freedom Keyword Alert Manager help protect me on the Internet?
The Freedom Keyword Alert Manager helps ensure your personal information is not transmitted without your permission.
Does the Freedom Keyword Alert Manager pick up keywords when using an instant messenger service?
- You can define specific words, such as your children's names, IP address, and credit card numbers, as "key words." The Keyword Alert Manager detects when these words are about to be sent out over the Internet and asks for your permission. This helps prevent the unauthorized release of information.
No. Freedom's current proxy configuration does not scan for instant messenger as these services use ports not supported by Freedom's Firewall.
What is a cookie?
While you are on the Internet, small text files known as cookies are placed on your PC. These files are transmitted to your PC while you are visiting a particular Web site and contain information about you use of the site.
How does Freedom Form Filler Manager help me when I'm surfing the Internet?
- Cookies can be useful. For example, a Web site may ask if you want service in English or French. Your answer is then recorded in the cookie on your PC. Next time you visit that site, your personal language preference is loaded without asking you.
- With Freedom's Cookie Manager you can easily manage which cookies you do and don't want.
Freedom Form Filler saves you time completing online forms by re-using your pre-defined information. It also allows you to gain access to certain sites without revealing your personal information.
Is the information I enter into the Freedom Form Filler safe? Where is it kept?
- Freedom's Form Filler remembers and manages your online account names and passwords. All personal and sensitive information is encrypted and stored on your own computer. This information is only accessible by you or authorized individuals.
The information you enter in Freedom Form Filler Manager is kept in your Freedom Security & Privacy Tools
settings file (called freedom.dat file). This file is encrypted with industry-grade encryption and stored
on your PC. No one has access to this information.
Freedom Form Filler Manager does not appear to work with the Web site I am using. What can I do?
You may visit a Web site that is not on the list of sites that Form Filler is configured for, forcing you to
enter some of your information manually. If you encounter this, please contact
Zero-Knowledge Systems directly so they can add to their list of sites.
Web sites that use Java Script will not work with Freedom Form Filler Manager.
Does TELUS Anti-Virus cost me anything?
No. TELUS Anti-Virus is provided free to all TELUS high speed customers. Similar to web space
or email addresses, Anti-Virus is now included as a feature within your TELUS high speed Internet
service. As long as you subscribe to TELUS high speed service your Anti-Virus will remain active.
I am already subscribing to TELUS Anti-Virus, what do I do?
No need to do anything, the change is automatic. Simply continue using your Freedom Anti-Virus,
now a standard feature of your TELUS high speed Internet service. Starting on your August bill,
you will no longer be billed for your Anti-Virus service, a savings of $3.95 per month.
I am already subscribing to the TELUS Security Bundle, what do I do?
No need to do anything, the change is automatic. Simply continue using your Freedom Anti-Virus,
now a standard feature of your TELUS high speed Internet service, you will pay only $3.95 per month
for your personal Firewall. Starting on your August bill, you will no longer be billed for your
Anti-Virus service, a savings of $2.00 per month.
I am already subscribing to TELUS Anti-Virus or Security Bundle, will I be credited
for previous months?
No, TELUS is providing Anti-Virus service free as part of your TELUS high speed service going
forward. This service was not previously free.
I am already subscribing to TELUS Anti-Virus or Security Bundle - when will I
see the cost for Anti-Virus reduced to $0.00?
You will see the cost for Anti-Virus reduced to $0.00 on your Internet bill you receive
in August. Depending on when your billing period starts, you may yet be receiving your July bill, and
it will have a charge for Anti-Virus. This is because there are various billing periods and
customers receive bills throughout the month. ALL TELUS high speed CUSTOMERS WILL HAVE ANTI-VIRUS
INCLUDED FOR FREE STARTING ON THEIR AUGUST BILL.
How do I activate my Freedom Anti-Virus service, by TELUS?
To activate, simply:
Click here for detailed instructions.
Windows XP users who have more than one user profile will see the Freedom Install Wizard
for each profile. Your TELUS high speed username and password must be entered each time.
- Uninstall any existing security software
- Download the Freedom .exe software file onto your PC
- "Start" / "Run" the Freedom .exe file on your PC
- Answer some standard software-install questions from Windows' Install Shield
- Reboot your PC (turn off and on)
- Enter your TELUS high speed username and password when prompted by Freedom's I
What are the minimum system requirements for Freedom Security services, by TELUS?
Freedom does not support Macintosh platforms, Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows NT.
Internet Explorer 4.x or higher
MSN Explorer 6.x or higher
Netscape Communicator 4.72 or higher
Opera 3.6.1 or 5.x
* note IE 4.6 or higher required for Freedom Form Filler
Outlook Express 4.0, 5.x, 6.0
Outlook 98/2000/XP (Keyword Alert does not work if Outlook is running on an exchange server)
Eudora 3.0x, 4.3, 5.1
Netscape Messenger 4.x, 6.x
mIRC 4.x, 5.x
Netscape News 4.x, 6.x
Outlook 4.x, 5.x, 6.0
I can't get Freedom Anti-Virus to download onto my PC. What do I do?
Call TELUS Technical Support at 1-877-310-TECH (8324)
I downloaded the Freedom software onto my PC, but it doesn't work.
Common Freedom installation problems include:
1. Your PC not being compatible with Freedom. Freedom works on Windows 98, ME, 2000 or XP.
Confirm your minimum system requirements.
2. Other security software may be installed on your PC. Uninstall the other Internet
security programs and then re-run the Freedom.exe file.
3. Ensure you use your TELUS high speed username and password.
4. Existing viruses may not allow anti-virus software onto your PC. In this case, call
TELUS Technical Support at 1-877-310-TECH (8324)
My TELUS high speed username and password are not recognized by Freedom Security.
Ensure you are using the correct TELUS high speed username and password.
If it still doesn't work, call TELUS at 310-4NET (or 1-877-310-4NET outside of AB and BC.)
Who can I contact for additional technical support?
How do I set-up Freedom Anti-Virus with Windows XP?
- For immediate service, visit the Freedom Internet Security Service Knowledge Center.
- For detailed help, run Freedom's Diagnostic Utility that will send a technical record of your problem to the experts. To run the Diagnostic Utility, go to your "My Computer" / C:Drive/ "Program Files/Zero-Knowledge/Freedom/Diagnostic_Utility."
- Or call TELUS Tech Support at 1-877-310-TECH (8324)
If the Wizard doesn't show under a particular profile, then:
- Download the Freedom file.
- Run the downloaded Freedom.exe file under the administrator profile.
- If you have set-up your PC to work with different Windows XP profiles ("Dad", "Mom", "Johnny", etc.)
then you need to run the Freedom Install Wizard the next time each profile is opened. To fully protect
your PC, enter your same TELUS high speed username and password each time.
1. Shut down Freedom via an option under the "Freedom" menu at the top of the software's main page
2. In "My Computer" select C:drive then under that user profile name, select "documents and settings", "Freedom"
3. Delete the "Freedom.dat" file.
4. Go to the user profile that is having problems. The Freedom Install Wizard should then automatically
run and prompt you for your TELUS high speed username and password.
If a user's profile still fails to run Freedom after performing the above steps, run the Freedom.exe file downloaded in step 1 under each profile. This will complete the install process for each XP user.
Please note that the 'fast user switching' feature cannot be used with Freedom. All users must log out before another user can log in.
What are Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS?
Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS is software developed by Zero-Knowledge Systems Inc. and includes
How do Freedom services differ from my existing security software?
- Freedom Personal Firewall, by TELUS
- Freedom Anti-Virus, by TELUS
- Freedom Parental Control, by TELUS
With Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS
How do I subscribe to additional Freedom Security services, by TELUS?
- There are no up-front costs like you may pay with other Internet security services. Get your first 30 days free, then pay from $3.95 per month.
- Your Freedom Internet security service remains active until you cancel your subscription. Other security services are usually sold in 12-month licenses. When these expire, so does your security protection.
- New and upgraded features are added to Freedom as they become available. TELUS sends a pop-up alert to your computer to advise you when new upgrades are available.
- Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS also include Freedom Ad Manager, Freedom Cookie Manager, Freedom Form Filler and Freedom Keyword Alert.
Sign-up online at telus.net/security
Or by phone
What are the payment options for Freedom Security services, by TELUS?
- BC and AB customers: call 310-4NET (4638)
- Other regions of Canada: call 1-877-310-4NET (4638)
Payment options include:
With Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS, am I protected 100% of the time?
- 1 Anti-Virus subscription is included at no additional cost to TELUS high speed customers
- Additional subscriptions of Anti-Virus or other Freedom Security Services can be purchased by:
- TELUS phone bill (TELUS phone customers only)
- Visa, Mastercard or AMEX credit card
- Pre-authorized payment via a chequing account.
Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS helps protect your household and business data, family and
personal information while online from attackers, viruses and fraud.
However, no TELUS known solution is able to provide 100% protection for you or your PC. For more
information on security solutions, visit telus.com/securitysolutions.
How can I ensure that Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS is protecting me?
There are a number of ways to confirm including:
Who can I contact for additional support?
- When using the Freedom Keyword Alert Manager, purposely send out data that you have flagged as
sensitive (such as your address). Check to see if Freedom Keyword Alert asks for your permission
before releasing it.
- When using the Freedom Cookie Manager, check your cookie jar at the end of your Internet
session to see if cookies are left on your computer.
- When using the Freedom Personal Firewall, by TELUS view the log of intrusion targeted at your
computer. View the log of your Internet activity by clicking on the word "View" at the top of the
Freedom software screen and select " Console". Or you may want to test the firewall functionality
using "ShieldsUp!" at www.grc.com or another firewall testing service (most are free.) Run the
test with and without the Freedom Firewall enabled and compare notes.
- When using the Freedom Anti-Virus, by TELUS scan your files for viruses. Or you can conduct
an anti-virus test to ensure you are receiving protection. There are Web sites that offer free anti-virus
testing tools such as www.eicar.org.
- When using the Freedom Parental Control, by TELUS, visit a site with a URL like www.sex.com. A blocking
notice should appear on your PC screen alerting you to the inappropriate Web site selection.
For additional support:
View a helpful tutorial on
the download process and Freedom Internet Security services, by TELUS.
- Call TELUS at 310-4NET (4638) for subscription & TELUS high speed username questions
- Call TELUS Technical Support at 1-877-310-TECH for software, PC and Internet access problems.